University of Arizona
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Venture Development Manager, Life Sciences (Venture Development Professional III
at University of Arizona
The University of Arizona’s (UArizona) Tech Launch Arizona (TLA) creates social and economic impact by bringing the inventions of UArizona from the lab to the world. The TLA Venture Development team facilitates the creation of new ventures founded on these inventions. The TLA Venture Development team is expanding to recruit a Venture Development Manager, Life Sciences. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, outgoing, and will have proven technology commercialization and startup experience. This position will focus primarily on startup activities, and will report to the TLA Director, Venture Development. The University of Arizona is a place of learning, invention and discovery. At Tech Launch Arizona, we help bring those discoveries to the world through commercial pathways. Our primary focus is on ensuring that technologies and innovations originating with UA researchers find meaningful application.
Knowledge,Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of technology commercialization, entrepreneurship, and innovation management concepts
- Ability to represent Tech Launch Arizona and UArizona in a range of professional settings
- Exceptional project management and communication skills
- Knowledge of university culture and activities
- Knowledge of the region's economic and entrepreneurial landscape
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more! The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu
Support the creation and tracking of startup companies founded on UArizona Intellectual Property (IP):
- Grow and maintain network of contacts in the respective focus area
- Work with TLA team to assess commercial opportunities
- Work with Mentors-in-Residence to monitor and advance startup team formation: business leadership, advisors, and business planning.
- Identify individuals that have the interest and experience necessary to lead university startup teams
- Manage and track the process by which network members engage with startup teams for advising and leadership
- Track startup team progress and challenges and review with MIR’s and Director, Venture Development Support the NSF I-Corps program efforts
- Provide post-license business development and mentoring support where appropriate to advance company success
- Other duties as assigned
Work with Director on team initiatives:
- Develop and support startup resources: collateral, workshops and clinics, outreach, other
- Engage in ongoing peer review and assessment of best practices
- Identify and pursue other resources / grants designed to enhance commercialization efforts
- Provide support where needed
Skill / Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- 5 or more years experience in entrepreneurial activities (e.g. startup business creation, startup governance,
team formation, business and financial modeling, strategic planning, investment, mentoring)
- Scientific and/or business degrees related to Life Sciences
- 10 or more years experience working in a university commercialization setting, or related incubator or accelerator environment
- Experience with NSF I-Corps or similar entrepreneurial programs