Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Executive Director, Business Development
at Sepracor Inc.
Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. is looking for an Executive Director of Business Development to join our team in Marlborough, MA.
The Executive Director of Business Development is responsible for establishing and leading a highly effective strategy and process to identify, assess, present, and seek agreement on opportunities for early discovery, early to late stage clinical development, and commercial stage assets that advance the company’s growth objectives in CNS/Neurology/Psychiatry, Respiratory and other therapeutic areas of interest. This individual will also play an active role in negotiations and transactions for potential collaborations and key assets Sunovion is seeking to in-license or acquire.
Additional specific responsibilities will include:
- Develop, manage and serve as a leading contributor in executing Sunovion’s Business Development Strategy
- Establish and nurture close partnerships with key stakeholders and related governance groups domestically and globally to enhance inter-company and cross-regional review and consideration of potential opportunities.
- Facilitate Sunovion and as appropriate, DSP discussions to identify domestic and global strategic gaps in current discovery, clinical, and commercial pipeline and seek consensus on priorities and operating framework.
- Lead process to gain early domestic and/or global access to promising/emerging or existing technologies and assets that advance the company’s interests in all phases of the R&D and commercial continuum in close partnership with Sunovion and DSP Group colleagues.
- Proactively seek, establish, and leverage domestic and global industry contacts from academic institutions, venture firms, early and late stage biotech/biopharma, and mid to large pharmaceutical companies to gain early access to the obvious and non-obvious opportunities.
- Lead with authority and credibility due diligence on new opportunities and distill and present information to multiple audiences with appropriate business, scientific and commercial analytics to optimize decision making.
- Develop and present executive presentations in full alignment with executive direction and consensus; develop, present, and manage detailed project/enactment plan for opportunities deemed of interest to the company.
- Provide periodic detailed and executive level updates to multiple audiences on Business Development activities to ensure awareness and alignment across the subsidiary and its parent company.
- Support assimilation plan of new opportunity(s) into the appropriate group(s). Provide periodic review with respect to assumptions and premises associated with transacted opportunity and apply learning to subsequent potential opportunities.
- Seek and execute opportunities for asset divestiture and product out-licensing.
- Responsible for Alliance Management activities and drives cross functional planning and execution for alliance programs across internal groups.
The successful candidate must possess sophisticated and proven business development leadership experience ideally with a mix of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, banking and/or venture capital affiliations, along with bringing a track record of effective deals. A solid understanding of the industry’s complex regulatory requirements and an absolute commitment to competing on the highest ethical level are essential.
This individual must possess strong leadership, collaboration and team building skills, as well as the following attributes:
- Highly developed industry, scientific/clinical and business development acumen with the ability to formulate strategies and operational plans that address the interests of the Company, with primary focus and emphasis on CNS/Neurology/Psychiatry.
- Demonstrated history of innovative, “out of the box” thinking and natural penchant for identifying “non-obvious” opportunities that expand/diversify business dynamics; strong strategic agility.
- Proven track record with a deal sheet which measurably demonstrates ability to lead a high performing search & evaluation function and contribute to successfully executing transactions.
- Highly developed understanding of global dynamics and contemporary knowledge of the industry landscape.
- Track record of introducing novel/new business opportunities that are synergistic with the company’s existing operations/assets and potentially provide entry into new areas of strategic focus (additive to early-to-mid stage (traditional) in-licensing and product acquisition opportunities). Not a pure “deal hunter”.
- Strong aggregate background in science/medicine and search & evaluation (external innovation, business development).
- Substantive experience serving as the lead or co-lead in a search & evaluation/business development role; expertise in CNS/Neurology/Psychiatry field or related therapeutic areas is preferred.
- Keen ability to apply clinical and scientific knowledge (in conjunction with R&D leadership team and other stakeholders) to present and facilitate review and consideration of new opportunities.
- Knowledge of external healthcare business environment along with an understanding of competitive history and ability to forecast future developments.
- Applies rigor in assessing new opportunities and effectively leads discussions with key executives to facilitate efficient review and decision making.
- Ability to work effectively in a global matrixed organization.
- Strong networks within industry, academia and the venture capital community.
- Excellent aptitude for leading and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Build and Maintain Key Relationships
- Establish and nurture highly credible, trust based working relationships with Commercial, R&D, Finance, and other key stakeholders in the influence, and decision-making value chain.
- Represent the company and the function on all related meetings pertaining to search & evaluation and business development discussions.
- Forge positive relationships across all internal and external communities and promote the company as a preferred choice in strategic transactions.
- Manage and Develop Talent
- Inspire and lead assigned staff to ensure attainment of established goals and objectives.
- Ensure compliance with applicable internal and external policies.
- Promote a high performance, results oriented collaborative work culture.
- Ensure rigor in the selection, development, and retention of talent.
- Establish clear expectations and exemplify delivery of excellent performance.
- Establish resource plan to ensure that function is appropriately resourced to support the function’s business imperatives.
- Promote shared purpose and mutual accountability
Business Development Best Practices
- Promote and integrate industry best practices that fit well with the Company’s operating culture.
- Proactively attend conferences and congresses and establish/expand network to gain early access to new opportunities; directly apply learning to help shape the company’s thinking around search & evaluation opportunities.
- Promote a highly interconnected and accountable operating culture.
- Establish and manage a robust data base that provides efficient and timely access to obvious and non-obvious opportunities.
- Set clear standards and expectations for the accurate and timely reporting of status of functional activities across to all relevant audiences.
- Steward highly effective communications with internal and external stakeholders.
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred in a scientific discipline with MBA highly desirable.
Confidential Data: All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters is considered confidential.
Compliance :Achieve and maintain Compliance with all applicable regulatory, legal and operational rules and procedures, by ensuring that all plans and activities for and on behalf of Sunovion are carried out with the "best" industry practices and the highest ethical standards.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Fast paced environment handling multiple demands. Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment as necessary. Requires a high level of initiative and independence. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Requires ability to use a personal computer for extended periods of time.
Lead the way to a healthier world by putting patients at the center of everything we do
We are focused on developing innovative therapies and transforming the lives of people with serious medical conditions. We are creating innovative psychiatric, neurological and respiratory therapies that help transform people's lives, while at the same time we are playing an increasingly active role in the future of global health.