City of Maricopa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vice President of Business Development
at City of Maricopa
- General Summary
- This posting is for the Maricopa Economic Development Alliance.
Maricopa Economic Development Alliance (MEDA) is Maricopa's private-public partnership for economic development. As a 501(c)3 corporation, the organization champions strategies and solutions that foster economic growth and prosperity in the City of Maricopa.
MEDA brings together the business, government, education and civic sectors to identify and advance forward-looking policies that facilitate investment, growth and workforce development. MEDA's board is comprised of the leading executives of Maricopa's major business sectors, representing expertise and experience in utilities, finance, development, health care and infrastructure development. Equally important are the elected officials and public sector executives who bring the essential representation of the City of Maricopa's Mayor, City Council Members and the City Manager.
MEDA's role is expanding and this is an excellent opportunity for the right person to help ramp up significant new economic development initiatives that will grow the economic base of Maricopa.
Benefits are offered by MEDA which include Health Care allowance, car allowance mobile phone allowance and performance bonus.
For additional information, please contact:
Ioanna Morfessis, Senior Advisor to the MEDA Board (602) 626-8560
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Assist companies, consultants, and real estate professionals with new business recruitment and existing industry expansions into the City of Maricopa by initiating, planning, developing and implementing sales strategies and meetings.
- Successfully target and attract new business and industry to Maricopa and position the city as a competitive business location.
- Conceptualize the business locations/expansion sales strategy for MEDA on behalf of the City of Maricopa based on research, relationship networks and direction from Managing Director.
- Develop and implement strategies, goals and objectives to generate and convert leads to prospects and prospect to locates.
- Plan, implement and provide all follow-up to prospect generation and recruitment appointments, meetings and engagement to attract new business and industry, including trips to visit targeted firms in key geographic markets, participation in regional and state prospecting missions, targeted industry trade shows and other business development activities.
- Develop, meet and surpass performance goals and standards for business locations and development initiatives and results; improve their effectiveness and productivity.
- Recruit new business investment leading to job growth, including, but not limited to: presentations to executives, coordinating prospect visits/ tours, compile local & state incentive proposals, address issues or needs of the project.
- Assist existing employers' new business investment plans that will retain and expand existing jobs. Maintain robust and systematic business retention call program.
- Assist new business investment that supports existing businesses' competitive advantage.
- Maintain excellent relations with leadership at existing city, regional and national businesses, site selection consultants, commercial real estate brokers, and prospects.
- Ability to travel as needed (approximately two to three trips per month).
- Represent MEDA on behalf of Maricopa to state, county and regional economic development partners on economic development projects and prospects.
- Proficiency, knowledge and ability to maintain and edit various software systems and databases for project management, customer relationship management, and real estate.
- Demonstrated and avowed team player who can work with MEDA and City staff to research, write and prepare presentations and responses to all "Requests for Proposals" from economic development partners and other deal-generating sources.
- Maintain knowledge of MEDA Board members, City officials and other stakeholder relationships as appropriate in implementing sales plans.
- Anticipate economic development trends and assist the organization in staying ahead of the competition.
- Maintain and strengthen mutually beneficial working relationships with the Arizona Commerce Authority Commerce, Greater Phoenix Economic Council, Pinal County Government and other economic development partners.
- Seek methods to continuously improve the efficiency and quality of your work and that of MEDA.
- Maintain current, in-depth knowledge of the business and political climate of the City of Maricopa, Pinal County, Greater Phoenix region and State of Arizona.
- Carryout all other duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
- Minimum and Preferred Entrance Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree is a minimum requirement and a Master's degree is preferred, in a related area such as economics, marketing or business or public administration.
- Minimum eight years of progressively responsible experience in a directly related area during which both professional and management capability and success have been clearly demonstrated.
- Experience must include strong skills in successful sales, site location decision-making, private-public economic development partnerships, business finance, problem-solving, interaction between business and government, as well as a thorough, practical understanding of the application of sound business practices.
- Highly organized with an ability to coordinate, analyze and act upon confidential information.
- Able to interact effectively with top level C-suite executives and management in the private and public sectors.
- Professional, engaging communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team within a flexible, fast-paced environment. Previous and successful business development experience is required, and demonstrated success in business attraction, retention and expansion is a huge plus.
- CEcD preferred but not required.
- Valid Arizona Driver's License required.
- Drug test and credit and criminal background checks are required.
- Competencies for Successful Performance of Job Duties
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development.
- Knowledge of the market research, marketing strategies, and tactics of prospect generation and recruitment for a local community.
- Knowledge of past, present and future growth trends of Maricopa, Pinal and Maricopa counties, and competitor regions.
- Ability to develop and implement business development, marketing and sales strategies and plans, and monitor effectiveness.
- Strong leadership, motivational and managerial skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deal with high level public and industry figures effectively.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in customer relationship software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, e.g., Excel, PPT, word.
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Verbal and written communication
- Data entry and filing
- Modern office systems and procedures
- Problem solving
- Planning and organization
- Time management
- Communicate effectively with the public and city employees
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Follow oral and written instructions